Waikīkī HCC Scholarship Program-
2017 Scholarship Info- DEADLINE- 4pm on August 18, 2017- NOW CLOSED
General Qualification Criteria:
- Be a resident of Hawai‘i
- Be a full-time student in an accredited two- or four-year college or technical educational program in or out of the State of Hawai‘i
- Have a cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.5 for graduating high school seniors or undergraduate students
- Have a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 for graduate students
- First priority is given to members of Waikīkī HCC in good standing, including directly-related family members. Second priority is given to Native Hawaiian students that reside in the Kona moku on the island of Oʻahu. (More info about the Kona moku can be found at – http://www.avakonohiki.org/maps-kona.html) Third priority is given to Native Hawaiian students that are active in their community through cultural practices.
- Waikīkī HCC policy is to give preference to applicants of Hawaiian ancestry.
In order to process your application, you will need to submit the following online application by 4pm on August 18, 2017:
- A completely and correctly filled-out Waikīkī HCC 2017 Scholarship Application Form.
In addition, the following items should be submitted in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading – WAIKĪKĪ HCC SCHOLARSHIP REQUIRED DOCS FROM [ADD YOUR NAME HERE]
All of these documents are also required by4pm on August 18, 2017.
- A copy of an acceptance letter from an accredited post high school educational institution for 2017/2018 school year. Continuing students may submit a proof of registration or receipt of payment.
- A copy of your most recent transcripts (unofficial transcripts will be accepted).
- A copy of your birth certificate showing Hawaiian descent, if any.
- Your personal statement (see below)
Please submit a personal statement (two-page (max.1,200 words)) explaining your educational, career, and personal goals. You should also include other information that will demonstrate that you are a worthy scholarship recipient. Your personal statement should describe any outstanding attributes and talents.
Your Personal Statement is not limited to answering the following questions, but they must be addressed:
• What are your reasons for attending college?
• Why did you choose your course of study?
• What career goals do you have?
Statement should be in clear narrative form no less than 800 words, and no more than 1200 words. 12 pt. font, double spaced.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much is the scholarship award?
The amount of the award is determined by the Waikīkī HCC Board and will vary from year to year. Awards vary and are based on academic standing, the quality of the essay and the completeness of the application package. Scholarship checks are made payable to the scholarship recipient and are mailed directly to the student.
What can I use the scholarship award for?
Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, fees, books and other educational expenses. These are one year scholarships, and you must re-apply each year for continued funding as it becomes available. You are not guaranteed an award each year.
Timeline for 2017 Scholarship Applications
• July 28, 2017: Program opens, application and information available online.
• August 18, 2017: 4pm deadline for submitting completed Waikīkī HCC online application and other required documents by email (email@example.com)
• August 25, 2017: Applicants receive notice of decision.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
The best way to contact us is by emailing the Waikīkī HCC Scholarship Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
If I receive a scholarship will I have to do any community service?
Yes, we will invite you to our Waikīkī HCC events and we are asking each recipient to commit at least 10 community service hours with Waikīkī HCC. If you are not on the mokupuni of Oʻahu for our events and will not be able to attend then we would welcome the assistance of a family member or friend.
If I receive a scholarship will I be required to join the Waikīkī HCC?
Yes, you will be required to join the Waikīkī HCC for at least one year and welcome you and your family to participate in our activities such as Maunaʻala Clean-Ups, Scholarship Fundraisers, Traditional Knowledge Workshops, Planning Events, etc…